PoE lighting reduces power, material, labor and maintenance. According to Cisco the environmental benefits are far beyond what we imagined. According to Cisco the use of PoE lighting further reduces the strain on the planet by eliminating materials required to build the product and subsequently reducing Co2 emissions (see chart below).
- Reduces the up-front construction cost and time to completion. When using PoE for cabling for installation, and configuration, dramatically reduce installation time. In addition, “carbon footprint” – no conduit required, no high voltage copper wiring isrequired.
- Use of low voltage PoE increases safety. It eliminates the need for certified electrician for installation and the inevitable modification.
- As LED lights need DC power to operate, AC powered LED fixtures must convert their power source. Through a transformer to DC, this can result in 20% loss in power in the form of heat. As PoE is native DC power no transformer need and no resulting power loss.
- Luminetworx™ Power over Ethernet (PoE) technology offers an innovative approach to energy efficient lighting.
- PoE allows for devices to be powered, connected, and controlled by a Category Cable.
- In the past, lighting fixtures required voltages too high to be powered by the Cat5 cable, but with today’s energy efficient LED bulbs, PoE lighting is possible.